The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Laboratory Services Department has recently been awarded a Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) service contract to conduct an evaluation of the CIFF HIV self-testing investment in Uganda and Nigeria. The project evaluation team/consortium comprises a total of four research partners, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, LSTM (UK), the Centre for Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Research, CeSHHAR (Zimbabwe), the Infectious Disease Institute, IDI (Uganda) and the Institute of Human Virology, IHVN (Nigeria).
The HIV ST 10X investment aims to accelerate a self-care revolution to de-medicalize HIV testing and prevention within broader sexual & reproductive health. Governments will experience how de-medicalization can relieve pressure on the health system, with knock-on effects for the broader self-care agenda. The specific objectives of the investment are:
- Catalyze a 10X growth in the self-testing market from 5M to 50M tests used a year in low- and middle-income countries by 2025.
- Link more than 2.7M HIV-positive people to treatment between 2020 and 2025 and millions more to the HIV prevention and sexual health services they need.
To execute this project, IHVN is seeking suitably qualified candidate to fill in the position of a Health Economist Research Assistant.
Position (Designation): Health Economics Research Assistant
Department: Laboratory Services
Reports To: Dr. Sam Peters
Contract: Fixed-term 12 months
Job Location: Anambra state
Opening Date: 24/3/2022
Closing Date: 7/4/2022
- Collating financial expenditures data from implementing partners to facilitate top-down costing
- Collection of distribution site-level economic cost and other resource use data;
- Collection of HIVST distribution and other M&E/outputs data;
- Conducting facility/site observations & time and motion analysis
- Conducting cost data entry into spreadsheets and models;
- Working with team leads to process and analyze cost data;
- Working with team leads to disseminate costing results including reports and publications;
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensuring all aspects of work are in line with Good Clinical Practice guidelines.
- Maintaining high-quality data collection and documentation standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working in a reproductive health research environment
- Demonstrated experience collecting economic cost data;
- Good knowledge of use of Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Excellent organizational skills and good timekeeping;
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary research team environment
- Knowledge and behaviors that support equality, diversity, and inclusive practice
- Promote equality of opportunity and inclusive practice in all aspects of work undertaken
- Health Economics, Economics or another Social Science degree (master’s degree an added advantage)
- Current and valid certificate in Good Clinical Practice and Ethics is an advantage.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
- All Applications must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.