The Institute of Human Virology Nigeria is one of seven African research hubs for the new National Institutes of Health (NIH) five-year program, Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa). In addition to the seven research hubs, the NIH DS-I Africa initiative also awarded five research training grants, four ethics program awards, and an open data science platform and coordinating center awards. The investigators of all 17 awards will all work together within the DS-I Africa consortium to promote the use of data science for innovation and discovery in Africa.
Building on existing data, researchers of the IHVN research hub for INFORM Africa will establish data streams from public and private sectors to understand the multilayer interactions that may explain the dynamics and impact of the COVID- 19 pandemic, through three proposed research projects and two cores: the Data Management and Analysis Core to support management and analysis of both pre-existing data and new data produced through the Hub, and an Administrative Core. By utilizing large datasets on HIV and SARS-CoV-2 from Nigeria and South Africa, two of Africa’s largest and most affected countries, INFORM Africa will be able to provide novel insights on the epidemiology of both viruses as well as their impact on each other, to create a core capability for governments across Africa to better respond to both these concurrent epidemics as well as future epidemics.
International Research Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria
Inform Africa (Role of Data Streams In Informing Infection Dynamics in Africa), one of the seven research hubs grant award of the new National Institutes of Health five-year program, Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa)
Opening date: 25th May, 2022
Closing date: 08th June, 2022
The Program Manager/Coordinator will work under the direction of the overall INFORM Africa Principal Investigator (PI) and in close collaboration with the INFORM Africa multiPIs (MPI) and key personnel to provide high level scientific coordination and administrative management to meet the INFORM Africa objectives. Duties include those described below:
Duties and responsibilities
The duties of the program manager/coordinator working under the direction of the INFORM Africa PI include, but are not limited to the following:
- Scientific Administration
- Prepare materials for, and liaise with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel for Institutional Review Boards ethical approvals.
- Work closely with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel to ensure that adequate progress is made on milestones for each of the projects and cores.
- Work closely with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel to ensure that scientific reports from the projects and the cores are prepared, collated, reviewed and submitted on time to NIH following sign off by the PI.
- Prepare research materials and coordinate activities of INFORM Africa sub committees and subsequent research proposals.
- Attend working groups meetings, conferences, and meetings of INFORM Africa research hub or the DS-I Africa consortium as assigned by the PI.
- General Administration
- Coordinate and conduct the dissemination and local implementation of research terms of reference and procedures to INFORM Africa research hub.
- Schedule regular videoconference/Zoom calls or meetings for the INFORM Africa steering committee, subcommittees, the scientific advisory board, the community advisory board, the investigative team and develop minutes, action items with timelines.
- Follow up on action items identified to ensure timeliness of activities.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for INFORM Africa documents & maintain contact lists.
- Act as the point of contact for internal and external partners.
- Maintain and monitor project plans and project schedules.
- Travel Logistics
- Coordinate itineraries, flight and ground transport, and other travel support services.
- Work with IHVN and partner travel logistics to ensure that travel requests, accommodations, and remunerations are submitted on time and within budget.
- Budget Management and Reports
- Work with IHVN grants and contracts and finance department to ensure research grant expenditures are per sponsor and organization regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Work with grants and contracts and finance department to prepare financial reports, maintain correspondence with INFORM Africa stakeholders via emails, memos & letters.
- Prepare meeting retirements as needed.
- Communicate activity schedules and information to the INFORM Africa team and other collaborators where relevant.
- Work with the communication team to post activities of INFORM Africa, and promote the visibility of events.
Experience and Skills
- Strong research training and applied research experience.
- Literature search and systematic review skills.
- Organizational skills, ability to absorb new tasks as they arise and are assigned.
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Mature interpersonal and communication skills.
- Nigeria and/or other African country-related work experience.
- The candidate should have:
– Good understanding of GIS analysis will be an advantage.
– Experience coordinating NIH funded research projects
– Experience in coordinating multi-country research projects.
A research-oriented individual with an interest in science and good at health project management and research administration with:
- A PhD, MD/MPH or MPH with significant experience in research program management, especially multi-site research consortia.
- Location: The coordinator will be based at the IHVN in Abuja, Nigeria, the prime for INFORM Africa research hub.
- Duration of Engagement is for 5 years, contingent upon availability of grant funding.
The Program Manager/coordinator reports directly to the INFORM Africa Principal Investigator
The International Research Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria www.ihvn-irce.org
Mode of Application:
- Application letter and detailed curriculum vitae in Microsoft word format should be forwarded to the Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
- When applying, kindly indicate location being applied for at the top right corner of application
This advert closes 14 days from date of this publication and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.