The Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, care, and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at the national, state, and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to provide quality health services, capacity building, and research in West Africa and beyond.
IHVN collaborates with national, state, and local governments in Nigeria as well as with regional and worldwide organizations. The ACTION to Sustain Precision and Integrated HIV Response towards Epidemic Control (ASPIRE) project is implemented by IHVN with funding from the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the US Centres for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) to reduce mortality of people living with HIV (PLHIV) by providing HIV testing services; Strengthening laboratory capacity to achieve quality and sustained clinical management for HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, SAR-COV 2 and non-communicable disease (NCDs).
IHVN is seeking qualified candidates for the following position:
|Program Officer, Lab Biotech Unit
|Head of Biotech and HOD Laboratory
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
Opening Date: 17/01/2024
Closing Date: 30/01/2024
The Program Officer Clinical Laboratory- Biotech Unit will assist the Biotech Unit Head in Biosafety cabinet (BSC) certification and in the installation, maintenance, and calibration of Laboratory ancillary equipment in IHVN-supported Laboratories. Make daily reports of day-to-day activities at the IHVN equipment calibration centre/workshop and update Laboratory equipment inventory.
Description and objectives:
He or She will serve as the Biotech Engineer supporting equipment maintenance across supported Laboratories. S/He under the supervision of the HoU-Biotech and guided by the HoD Laboratory, is tasked with Biosafety hood certifications, support installation, upkeep, and calibration of ancillary laboratory equipment in IHVN-supported laboratories. The objective is to enhance and reinforce sustainable equipment maintenance, ultimately improving the functionality of equipment in supported facilities and the overall laboratory program.
- Provide support in BSC Certification
- Carry out installation, Testing, and calibration of laboratory ancillary equipment (Pipette microscope, Autoclave, incubator, freezers, refrigerators, etc.)
- Carry out corrective, preventive and breakdown maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Train laboratory staff on the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Evaluate the efficacy, safety, and efficiency of laboratory equipment.
- Maintain inventory for laboratory equipment and calibration tools.
- Carryout equipment calibration at IHVN equipment Center/workshop
- Generate Technical report.
- Prepare monthly and annual work plans for laboratory equipment maintenance.
- Any other task(s) assigned by the Head of Unit.
- Must be a graduate BSC, BTech or HND in Physic, Engineering, or any related field.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in installations, calibration and maintenance of Laboratory equipment.
- Must have metrology certification.
- NSF biosafety cabinet basic certification will be an added advantage.
- Must be proficient in the use of data analytical software.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or others.
Equal employment opportunity statement
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Mode of Application:
- This advert closes 14 days from the date of this publication, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.