The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria (IHVN), through funding from The Global Fund (GF), will be implementing the Grant Cycle 7 (GC7) grant, a combined TB &HIV effort pivotal to transforming TB & HIV programs. Under the leadership and coordination of the National AIDS and STDs Control Programme (NASCP), the National TB and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), and the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), this project will increase the identification of all forms of TB cases in the community and ensure prompt access to high-quality, patient-centred prevention and treatment through a Nationwide coverage of TB Public-Private Mix active TB case finding effort, and Community TB testing. The HIV component of the grant will focus on four states (Ebonyi, Anambra, Kwara, and Gombe) for end-to-end HIV comprehensive services, community PMTCT scale-up in all states, PrEP in the four GF-supported states and in other states where PEPFAR IPs will be operating, and support harm reduction program (specifically needles and syringes) in 12 states. Other focus areas include Health Systems Strengthening/Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) and National level support activities.
To further uphold our commitment to providing excellent services in the sector, we are recruiting to fill the below-listed position:
|Senior Program Officer, Hmis
|Central Office/HQ-Abuja, FCT (One position)
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
|Senior Program Manager SI
|HIV lead, TB Lead, Program Management Team, Project Director
Opening Date:1st December 2023
Closing Date: 14th December 2023
Provide direct HMIS technical support and coordination for implementing Strategic Information activities in the organization to ensure program targets are met. Implement and ensure data quality and best practices in health information systems at different levels. Ensure the use of standard tools required in the program. Promote health system strengthening activities at all levels. Collaborate with the Government of Nigeria agencies to conduct monitoring and evaluation activities.
Description and objectives:
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the (SPO HI) will implement and ensure data quality and best practices in health information systems at different levels.
- Deploy Health Information Systems at Facility or Community Outreach centers.
- Support already deployed Health Information Systems at the facility/community level. (Training, Technical support, troubleshooting, updating and issue reporting)
- Ensure that EMR modules are up and running, in use, up to date and can respond to changing user needs.
- Support upload of data from NMRS into the National Data Repository every week.
- Ensure that standard processes and protocols are adhered to at the facility level in the deployment/implementation of Health Information Systems.
- Routine reporting to the Program Manager Health Informatics on the status of Health Informatics Interventions at facility and community level (NMRS Module Deployment
- Provide guidance, supervision, leadership and mentorship for state/central PAs and POs in delivering their targets.
- Participate in the development of work plans and budgets for HI interventions.
- Provide strategic technical assistance to the government agencies and wider State Response on HMIS at the state level.
- S/he will also support improved availability and use of monitoring, evaluation, and surveillance data for program planning, evaluation, and policy advocacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head, Strategic Information
- Travel extensively across the 36 states of Nigeria for program supervision and mentorship
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of different backgrounds.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation practices, methods, tools, and guidelines
- Data management and analysis skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, verbal skills, and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Must have the ability to obtain, analyze, organize, and interpret data and present findings in both oral and written form.
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Access and Excel
- Good knowledge of programming
- Team player with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
Education and Experience:
- A University degree in any of the following or related fields: Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Natural and Social Sciences, Statistics. A master’s degree will be an added advantage. Minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Experience supporting information systems like OpenMRS, DHIS2, Nigeria Medical Record System, ODK Collect, and Lab Information Systems.
- Experience working with MySQL Community Server, Apache Tomcat, war files and Java Web Applications.
- Experience working with XML and JSON data encoding formats
- Experience in working with Ubuntu OS and Linus environments
- Experience in data collection, processing, and use.
- Experience with HIV/AIDS programs or related health service programs; experience working with HIV/AIDS prevention and/or impact mitigation programs in the West African context is desirable.
- Experience with the PEPFAR/ Global Funds SI system is highly desirable.
- The following certifications will be an added advantage if available: Java Certification (OCPJP, OCPWCD, etc.), Linux Certification, SQL or Database Certifications, and Health IT Certification.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Mode of Application:
Please submit your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae as one Microsoft Word document with the position applied for and location well captured as the subject of the email to the Assistant Director, Human Resources, through this email address: [email protected].