The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria (IHVN), through funding from The Global Fund (GF), will be implementing the Grant Cycle 7 (GC7) grant, a combined TB &HIV effort pivotal to transforming TB & HIV programs. Under the leadership and coordination of the National AIDS and STDs Control Programme (NASCP), the National TB and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), and the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), this project will increase the identification of all forms of TB cases in the community and ensure prompt access to high-quality, patient-centred prevention and treatment through a Nationwide coverage of TB Public-Private Mix active TB case finding effort, and Community TB testing. The HIV component of the grant will focus on four states (Ebonyi, Anambra, Kwara, and Gombe) for end-to-end HIV comprehensive services, community PMTCT scale-up in all states, PrEP in the four GF-supported states and in other states where PEPFAR IPs will be operating, and support harm reduction program (specifically needles and syringes) in 12 states. Other focus areas include Health Systems Strengthening/Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) and National level support activities.
To further uphold our commitment to providing excellent services in the sector, we are recruiting to fill the below-listed position:
|Senior Program Officer, TB Reference Laboratory
|NIMR, Lagos (1), JUTH, Jos (1)
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
|Regional Manager-Jos/Lagos, SPM-TB, Clinical Laboratory, TB Lead
|Program Management Team, Project Director, HOD Clinical Laboratory
Opening Date: 1st December 2023
Closing Date: 14th December 2023
The Senior Program Officer will have the requisite TB technical expertise and skilled in TB diagnostics. S/He will be required to coordinate and provide technical guidance to the TB Reference Laboratories. S/He will liaise with the relevant National and State TB program stakeholders.
Description and objectives:
- Perform the following TB diagnostic tests: GeneXpert, Truenat, TB-LAMP, LF-LAM, Genotypic tests (Molecular Line Probe Assay for 1st and 2nd line assays) and phenotypic tests (TB Culture, Drug Susceptibility Testing)
- Coordinate the TB Logistic Management System in the Reference Laboratory
- Provide Technical Assistance to the other staff at the TB Reference Laboratory
- Adhere to the Quality Management System to enhance laboratory quality systems, encompassing the creation of a quality manual, safety manual, audits, testing, and the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs), and partner with the NTBLCP Laboratory Team to develop national documents.
- Support TB reference laboratories to attain international laboratory standards towards accreditation using the Global Laboratory Initiative’s (GLI) stepwise process towards accreditation with other tools and checklists for implementing quality management systems.
- Conduct capacity building on mycobacteriology
- Collaborate with the relevant stakeholders to ensure prompt sample movement from facility and community levels to the testing laboratories and results retrieval.
- Collate and review facility reports (site visits, monthly/quarterly narrative, data, mentoring and supervision, etc.)
- Flag and report TB laboratory challenges and follow up on the execution of prompt interventions
- Perform every other duty necessary for the successful implementation of laboratory activities of IHVN.
- Ensure timely submission of laboratory deliverables and reports.
- Collate/review the GeneXpert QRRIF report/ensure distribution of cartridges.
- Summarize mentoring and supervision reports; collate finalized TB Reference labs deliverables.
- Inventory and manage TB laboratory supplies, supporting the HQ SCM team in creating a list of supplies for procurement.
- Ability to supervise and mentor others.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- Ability to communicate well.
- Basic computer skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently and consistently to produce timely and high-quality work.
- A Team player.
- Proficient in high-impact influencing and persuasive techniques, with the ability to represent the organization to donors and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate knowledge of guidelines and policies related to TB Molecular Diagnostic Laboratories.
Education and Experience:
Should possess a B.MLS or its equivalent with a current practising license from the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, a master’s degree in public health or its equivalent is an added advantage.
Experience: At least three years of experience working with a TB diagnostic laboratory.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Mode of Application:
Please submit your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae as one Microsoft Word document with the position applied for and location well captured as the subject of the email to the Assistant Director, Human Resources, through this email address: [email protected].