The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
In order to facilitate the provision of an effective TB laboratory services in Nigeria, IHVN with GF funding supported the establishment of 2 National TB Reference laboratories at National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Training Center (NTBLTC), Zaria and National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR), Yaba, Lagos and six zonal TB reference laboratories, within the 6 geopolitical zones of the country.
To ensure that the required standards for reference laboratories are met, IHVN provided human resource to support implementation of TB laboratory diagnostic services.
|Senior Program Officer (Laboratory)
|HOD (Lab) and TB Unit Head,
|IHVN Central office
Opening Date: 04/04/2023
Closing Date: 18/04/2023
The Senior Program Officer will have the requisite TB technical expertise and skilled in TB diagnostics. She/He will be required to provide technical guidance to the TB Reference Laboratories, coordinate and liaise with the relevant stakeholders at the National and State TB Programs.
Academic training: Should possess BMLS or its equivalent with current practicing license from Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, a Master’s degree in public health or its equivalent
Experience: At least 7-10 years’ experience working with TB diagnostic laboratory
The job descriptions are as follows.
- Perform the following TB diagnostic tests: Genotypic tests (GeneXpert, Truenat, TB LAMP, Molecular Line Probe Assay for 1st and 2nd line assays) and phenotypic tests (TB Culture, Drug Susceptibility Testing) and others as assigned.
- Provide Technical Assistance to the other staff at the TB Reference Laboratories
- Implementation of Quality Management Systems with the purpose of strengthening of laboratory quality systems including, development of quality manual, safety manual, audits, testing, developing standards operating procedures (SOPs), national documents developed along with NTBLCP Laboratory Team.
- Support TB reference laboratories to attain international laboratory standards towards accreditation using of the Global Laboratory Initiative (GLI) stepwise process towards accreditation with other tools and checklist for implementation of Quality Management Systems.
- Support NTBLCP on PSM, GeneXpert, TB LAMP, TrueNat and other diagnostics, including Network optimization.
- Develop and coordinate innovative strategies, required to strengthen, and improve the efficiency of the TB laboratory networks.
- Conduct capacity building on mycobacteriology
- Support initiatives to strengthen diagnostic networks including supporting elements, such as specimen transport, biosafety, supervision, and mentorship.
- Work closely with the relevant stakeholders to ensure samples are moved from facility and community levels to the testing laboratories promptly with prompt results retrieval.
- Collate and review facility reports (site visits, monthly/quarterly narrative, data, mentoring and supervision, etc.)
- Flag and report TB laboratory challenges and follow-up the execution of prompt interventions
- Perform every other duty necessary for the successful implementation of laboratory activities of IHVN.
- Ensure timely submission of laboratory deliverables and report.
- Collation/review of GeneXpert QRRIF report/ ensures distribution of cartridges.
- Summarize mentoring and supervision reports; collate finalized TB Reference labs deliverables.
- Procurement and supply Chain Management of TB laboratory commodities and other TB commodities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced computer usage skills with proficiency in Ms. Word, excel and power point.
- Ability to work independently and deliver quality work on time.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team.
- High impact influencing and persuasive skills, and able to represent the organization to donors and other stakeholders.
- Experience in building capacity at individual and organizational levels.
- Demonstrate knowledge of TB Molecular diagnostic Laboratory guidelines and policies.
Equal employment opportunity statement
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Assistant Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
- The position applied for MUST be the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.