The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
Through funding from US -CDC, IHVN is implementing the Strengthening Global Health Security Agenda in Nigeria Project (SECURE-Nigeria). This project provides technical support to Government of Nigeria agencies including NCDC and NPHCDA to strengthen surveillance activities as part of IHR 2005. Under this cooperative agreement through various component funding, SECURE –Nigeria is implementing several surveillance project including i) Establishing Sentinel surveillance for Acute Febrile illness (AFI) ii) Strengthening surveillance systems for adverse event following COVID-19 immunization (AEFI) iii) SARS-CoV 2 Serological Surveillance using remnant samples iv) Strengthening routine Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) reporting and data management v) Capacity building for Epidemiology and Data analysis vi) Infection prevention and Control (IPC) Practices etc. other IHR related support.
To further uphold our commitment to providing excellent services in the sector, we are recruiting to fill the below-listed position:
|Technical Advisor Scientific Writing (TASW)
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
|Project Director SECURE-Nigeria & Principal Investigator SECURE-Nigeria
|SECURE-Nigeria project leads.
Opening Date: 31st March 2023
Closing Date: 30th June 2023
The Technical Advisor Scientific Writing (TASW) will provide cross-cutting technical support for research accruing from IHVN SECURE-Nigeria project data. The research focus comprises of baseline assessments, implementation processes and the results of implementation. Hence the TASW will lead manuscript development for identified task within SECURE-Nigeria project. A target of 4 manuscript is expected to be completed by the end of September 2023. Specifically, he/she will lead the process of manuscripts development, as well as management of feedback comments from co-authors and editorial reviewers, until final online publication of articles.
- Conceptualize research topics and develop draft manuscript(s) within the IPC, AEFI and AFI project.
- Liaise with the respective IHVN project leads and data analysts, towards development of methods and result sections of proposed manuscript(s), respectively.
- Management of feedback comments on draft manuscript(s), from co-authors and editorial reviewers, towards development of finalized submission-ready manuscript.
- Initiation of manuscript submission to reputable peer-review journal, with back-and-forth follow-up until timely online publication
- Provide timely and adequate technical support on implementation research, to designated SECURE-Nigeria projects.
- Attend relevant technical meetings and keep unit colleagues updated on research activities and deliverables.
- Liaise with and provide technical assistance to project leads on project development and implementation, towards improvement in quality of data available for manuscript writing and research publications.
- Provide monthly, quarterly, and annual reports on research activities and accomplishment.
Minimum Essential Requirements:
- Advanced Clinical degree (MD, MBBS, BMChB, BPh, DM, RN or equivalent degree) with at least 7years’ experience in scientific writing
- An advanced degree in epidemiology, public health or related background is needed.
- A thorough understanding of IDSR guideline, relevant infectious disease epidemiology and public health issues.
- Strong scientific background with a track record of publications with at least 3 as first author
Mode of Application:
- Application letter and detailed curriculum vitae in Microsoft word format should be sent to the Assistant Director, Human Resources through this email address:[email protected]
- All Applications must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This is a performance-based position that would be reviewed quarterly. In event that the TASW is consistently not meeting deliverables as outline by the workplan that would be jointly developed, the contract will be terminated. *